What is involved in VMware vSphere
Find out what the related areas are that VMware vSphere connects with, associates with, correlates with or affects, and which require thought, deliberation, analysis, review and discussion. This unique checklist stands out in a sense that it is not per-se designed to give answers, but to engage the reader and lay out a VMware vSphere thinking-frame.
How far is your company on its VMware vSphere journey?
Take this short survey to gauge your organization’s progress toward VMware vSphere leadership. Learn your strongest and weakest areas, and what you can do now to create a strategy that delivers results.
To address the criteria in this checklist for your organization, extensive selected resources are provided for sources of further research and information.
Start the Checklist
Below you will find a quick checklist designed to help you think about which VMware vSphere related domains to cover and 159 essential critical questions to check off in that domain.
The following domains are covered:
VMware vSphere, Cloud computing, VMware Horizon View, ICore Virtual Accounts, Operating-system-level virtualization, Virtual DOS machine, Adaptive Domain Environment for Operating Systems, VMware vSphere, Microsoft Virtual Server, Network Virtualization using Generic Routing Encapsulation, Virtual Iron, Red Hat Enterprise Virtualization, Spin-off product, Virtual machine, VMware Workstation, VMware Fusion, Microsoft App-V, Virtual security switch, VMware Player, Windows Virtual PC, VMware ThinApp, SAP SE, Proprietary software, Windows 7, Desktop virtualization, VMware Server, Workload Partitions, Linux namespaces, Kernel-based Virtual Machine, FreeBSD jail, Software license, Hardware virtualization, Open vSwitch, Symantec Workspace Virtualization, VMware ESXi, SAP HANA, Windows Server 2008 R2, Software release life cycle, Virtual Machine Manager, Cooperative Linux, Distributed Overlay Virtual Ethernet, Ulteo Open Virtual Desktop, Software developer, Network virtualization, Oracle VM Server for SPARC, Remote Desktop Services, Red Hat Enterprise Linux, Oracle VM Server for x86, Application virtualization, VCloud Air, VMware ESX:
VMware vSphere Critical Criteria:
Scrutinze VMware vSphere failures and remodel and develop an effective VMware vSphere strategy.
– What prevents me from making the changes I know will make me a more effective VMware vSphere leader?
– Meeting the challenge: are missed VMware vSphere opportunities costing us money?
– What potential environmental factors impact the VMware vSphere effort?
Cloud computing Critical Criteria:
Collaborate on Cloud computing governance and customize techniques for implementing Cloud computing controls.
– With the increasing adoption of cloud computing do you think enterprise architecture as a discipline will become more or less important to us and why?
– To what extent do you believe the use of cloud computing will improve its ability to provide support for the business in the next two years?
– How can you start to build to a position of trust and risk management when setting up cloud computing for your organization?
– Have you considered that metrics collection, and system performance and security monitoring are more difficult in the cloud?
– How do the end users of cloud computing know that their information is not having any availability and security issues?
– How will technology advancements in soa, virtualization and cloud computing further and enable saas adoption?
– Are the risks associated with cloud computing actually higher than the risks enterprises are facing today?
– How do you prove data provenance in a cloud computing scenario when you are using shared resources?
– Aare there recommended best practices to help us decide whether they should move to the cloud?
– What are some cost cutting strategies for controlling cloud computing costs?
– Have you taken into account the vulnerabilities of the cloud solution?
– What should telcos be focusing on in 5 10 years?
– Resource provisioning algos in cloud computing?
– Is there a market for developing niche clouds?
– What percent of the market will not use cloud?
– How does BYOD affect security in the cloud?
– Fedramp approved / compliant?
– Fedramp approved/compliant?
– What is grid computing?
VMware Horizon View Critical Criteria:
Graph VMware Horizon View results and forecast involvement of future VMware Horizon View projects in development.
– A compounding model resolution with available relevant data can often provide insight towards a solution methodology; which VMware vSphere models, tools and techniques are necessary?
– What are the disruptive VMware vSphere technologies that enable our organization to radically change our business processes?
– What vendors make products that address the VMware vSphere needs?
ICore Virtual Accounts Critical Criteria:
Probe ICore Virtual Accounts results and create a map for yourself.
– Who are the people involved in developing and implementing VMware vSphere?
– Are accountability and ownership for VMware vSphere clearly defined?
Operating-system-level virtualization Critical Criteria:
Demonstrate Operating-system-level virtualization management and attract Operating-system-level virtualization skills.
– What are internal and external VMware vSphere relations?
– How can you measure VMware vSphere in a systematic way?
– Is a VMware vSphere Team Work effort in place?
Virtual DOS machine Critical Criteria:
Face Virtual DOS machine engagements and describe which business rules are needed as Virtual DOS machine interface.
– What may be the consequences for the performance of an organization if all stakeholders are not consulted regarding VMware vSphere?
– How will we insure seamless interoperability of VMware vSphere moving forward?
– Will VMware vSphere deliverables need to be tested and, if so, by whom?
Adaptive Domain Environment for Operating Systems Critical Criteria:
Accommodate Adaptive Domain Environment for Operating Systems goals and get out your magnifying glass.
– Are there any disadvantages to implementing VMware vSphere? There might be some that are less obvious?
– Can we do VMware vSphere without complex (expensive) analysis?
– Are there VMware vSphere problems defined?
VMware vSphere Critical Criteria:
Add value to VMware vSphere planning and innovate what needs to be done with VMware vSphere.
– What management system can we use to leverage the VMware vSphere experience, ideas, and concerns of the people closest to the work to be done?
– What are all of our VMware vSphere domains and what do they do?
– What are the Essentials of Internal VMware vSphere Management?
Microsoft Virtual Server Critical Criteria:
Learn from Microsoft Virtual Server quality and look at it backwards.
– What other organizational variables, such as reward systems or communication systems, affect the performance of this VMware vSphere process?
– Where do ideas that reach policy makers and planners as proposals for VMware vSphere strengthening and reform actually originate?
– What are our VMware vSphere Processes?
Network Virtualization using Generic Routing Encapsulation Critical Criteria:
Own Network Virtualization using Generic Routing Encapsulation goals and observe effective Network Virtualization using Generic Routing Encapsulation.
– Is there a VMware vSphere Communication plan covering who needs to get what information when?
Virtual Iron Critical Criteria:
Scan Virtual Iron goals and research ways can we become the Virtual Iron company that would put us out of business.
– For your VMware vSphere project, identify and describe the business environment. is there more than one layer to the business environment?
– How do we Identify specific VMware vSphere investment and emerging trends?
– How do we go about Comparing VMware vSphere approaches/solutions?
Red Hat Enterprise Virtualization Critical Criteria:
Troubleshoot Red Hat Enterprise Virtualization engagements and work towards be a leading Red Hat Enterprise Virtualization expert.
– What is our formula for success in VMware vSphere ?
– How would one define VMware vSphere leadership?
Spin-off product Critical Criteria:
Devise Spin-off product governance and look at the big picture.
– How do senior leaders actions reflect a commitment to the organizations VMware vSphere values?
– Is VMware vSphere dependent on the successful delivery of a current project?
Virtual machine Critical Criteria:
Participate in Virtual machine adoptions and track iterative Virtual machine results.
– Can your application be packaged into a virtual machine (VM) instance and run on cloud infrastructure or does it need specialized hardware and/or special access to hardware that the AWS cloud cannot provide?
– Consider your own VMware vSphere project. what types of organizational problems do you think might be causing or affecting your problem, based on the work done so far?
– An administrator is concerned about denial of service attacks on their virtual machines (vms). what is an effective method to reduce the risk of this type of attack?
– Does the provider utilize Network Access Control based enforcement for continuous monitoring of its virtual machine population and virtual machine sprawl prevention?
– What types of resources (e.g., virtual machines, storage space, development environments) does the provider offer as part of each of its service models?
– An administrator wants to install a guest os on a newly created virtual machine. what enables the administrator to perform the installation?
– What is a limitation of using a backup agent on a hypervisor when backing up virtual machine (vm) data?
– What enables a virtual machine to be portable across physical machines running the same hypervisor?
– Which technique can be used to cluster a virtual machine with a physical machine?
– How many virtual machines are to be protected by the disaster recovery solution?
– What is the basis for determining the size of the virtual machine swap file?
– What enables a virtual machine to directly access luns in a storage system?
– What makes it possible to store virtual machine files on a nas device?
– What is a feature of virtual machine file system (vmfs)?
– How is the value delivered by VMware vSphere being measured?
VMware Workstation Critical Criteria:
Probe VMware Workstation management and budget the knowledge transfer for any interested in VMware Workstation.
– What will be the consequences to the business (financial, reputation etc) if VMware vSphere does not go ahead or fails to deliver the objectives?
– Who will be responsible for documenting the VMware vSphere requirements in detail?
VMware Fusion Critical Criteria:
Deduce VMware Fusion leadership and acquire concise VMware Fusion education.
– Why should we adopt a VMware vSphere framework?
Microsoft App-V Critical Criteria:
Infer Microsoft App-V failures and define what our big hairy audacious Microsoft App-V goal is.
– What are your results for key measures or indicators of the accomplishment of your VMware vSphere strategy and action plans, including building and strengthening core competencies?
– What role does communication play in the success or failure of a VMware vSphere project?
Virtual security switch Critical Criteria:
Administer Virtual security switch engagements and report on setting up Virtual security switch without losing ground.
– Do we have past VMware vSphere Successes?
VMware Player Critical Criteria:
Canvass VMware Player governance and define what our big hairy audacious VMware Player goal is.
– Are there VMware vSphere Models?
Windows Virtual PC Critical Criteria:
Use past Windows Virtual PC projects and report on the economics of relationships managing Windows Virtual PC and constraints.
– What are the barriers to increased VMware vSphere production?
– How do we manage VMware vSphere Knowledge Management (KM)?
VMware ThinApp Critical Criteria:
Reconstruct VMware ThinApp engagements and know what your objective is.
– Are we making progress? and are we making progress as VMware vSphere leaders?
– Is Supporting VMware vSphere documentation required?
SAP SE Critical Criteria:
Bootstrap SAP SE engagements and intervene in SAP SE processes and leadership.
– Are there any easy-to-implement alternatives to VMware vSphere? Sometimes other solutions are available that do not require the cost implications of a full-blown project?
– Are we Assessing VMware vSphere and Risk?
Proprietary software Critical Criteria:
Meet over Proprietary software tasks and oversee implementation of Proprietary software.
– Do the VMware vSphere decisions we make today help people and the planet tomorrow?
– Can Management personnel recognize the monetary benefit of VMware vSphere?
Windows 7 Critical Criteria:
Administer Windows 7 results and find the ideas you already have.
– Why is it important to have senior management support for a VMware vSphere project?
– Which of my PCs can run Windows 7, Microsoft Office 2010, and Office 365?
Desktop virtualization Critical Criteria:
Graph Desktop virtualization adoptions and triple focus on important concepts of Desktop virtualization relationship management.
– How would the developing vdi (vmware) and ddi (citrix) solutions meet the desktop virtualization challenges presented by ringling college?
– Have the types of risks that may impact VMware vSphere been identified and analyzed?
– How do we maintain VMware vSpheres Integrity?
VMware Server Critical Criteria:
Administer VMware Server planning and simulate teachings and consultations on quality process improvement of VMware Server.
– Do those selected for the VMware vSphere team have a good general understanding of what VMware vSphere is all about?
– How can we improve VMware vSphere?
Workload Partitions Critical Criteria:
Chat re Workload Partitions outcomes and transcribe Workload Partitions as tomorrows backbone for success.
Linux namespaces Critical Criteria:
Adapt Linux namespaces governance and get going.
– What are your most important goals for the strategic VMware vSphere objectives?
– What are the long-term VMware vSphere goals?
Kernel-based Virtual Machine Critical Criteria:
Confer re Kernel-based Virtual Machine results and budget for Kernel-based Virtual Machine challenges.
– What are your current levels and trends in key measures or indicators of VMware vSphere product and process performance that are important to and directly serve your customers? how do these results compare with the performance of your competitors and other organizations with similar offerings?
– Among the VMware vSphere product and service cost to be estimated, which is considered hardest to estimate?
FreeBSD jail Critical Criteria:
Merge FreeBSD jail decisions and observe effective FreeBSD jail.
– What are the key elements of your VMware vSphere performance improvement system, including your evaluation, organizational learning, and innovation processes?
Software license Critical Criteria:
Differentiate Software license tactics and define what do we need to start doing with Software license.
– What implementation technologies/resources (e.g., programming languages, development platforms, software licenses) does the provider support?
– Does VMware vSphere create potential expectations in other areas that need to be recognized and considered?
– What sources do you use to gather information for a VMware vSphere study?
– Is our software usage in compliance with software license agreements?
Hardware virtualization Critical Criteria:
Scan Hardware virtualization management and finalize the present value of growth of Hardware virtualization.
– How do we know that any VMware vSphere analysis is complete and comprehensive?
– Is there any existing VMware vSphere governance structure?
Open vSwitch Critical Criteria:
Think about Open vSwitch goals and gather Open vSwitch models .
– Which customers cant participate in our VMware vSphere domain because they lack skills, wealth, or convenient access to existing solutions?
Symantec Workspace Virtualization Critical Criteria:
Categorize Symantec Workspace Virtualization planning and look in other fields.
– What business benefits will VMware vSphere goals deliver if achieved?
– Are there recognized VMware vSphere problems?
VMware ESXi Critical Criteria:
Value VMware ESXi decisions and explain and analyze the challenges of VMware ESXi.
– How can we incorporate support to ensure safe and effective use of VMware vSphere into the services that we provide?
– Think of your VMware vSphere project. what are the main functions?
SAP HANA Critical Criteria:
Reorganize SAP HANA failures and look at it backwards.
Windows Server 2008 R2 Critical Criteria:
Detail Windows Server 2008 R2 tactics and simulate teachings and consultations on quality process improvement of Windows Server 2008 R2.
– Which of my servers are capable of migrating to Windows Server 2008 R2, or can be virtualized using Hyper-V?
– Is VMware vSphere Realistic, or are you setting yourself up for failure?
Software release life cycle Critical Criteria:
Cut a stake in Software release life cycle issues and secure Software release life cycle creativity.
– Think about the functions involved in your VMware vSphere project. what processes flow from these functions?
– What are current VMware vSphere Paradigms?
Virtual Machine Manager Critical Criteria:
Learn from Virtual Machine Manager outcomes and devise Virtual Machine Manager key steps.
– What are the success criteria that will indicate that VMware vSphere objectives have been met and the benefits delivered?
– Does VMware vSphere analysis isolate the fundamental causes of problems?
Cooperative Linux Critical Criteria:
Review Cooperative Linux issues and get out your magnifying glass.
Distributed Overlay Virtual Ethernet Critical Criteria:
Interpolate Distributed Overlay Virtual Ethernet leadership and transcribe Distributed Overlay Virtual Ethernet as tomorrows backbone for success.
– What about VMware vSphere Analysis of results?
– How to Secure VMware vSphere?
Ulteo Open Virtual Desktop Critical Criteria:
Detail Ulteo Open Virtual Desktop visions and don’t overlook the obvious.
– Who will be responsible for deciding whether VMware vSphere goes ahead or not after the initial investigations?
– Does the VMware vSphere task fit the clients priorities?
Software developer Critical Criteria:
Inquire about Software developer governance and arbitrate Software developer techniques that enhance teamwork and productivity.
– Pick an experienced Unix software developer, show him all the algorithms and ask him which one he likes the best?
– How do we measure improved VMware vSphere service perception, and satisfaction?
– What is Effective VMware vSphere?
Network virtualization Critical Criteria:
Mine Network virtualization governance and track iterative Network virtualization results.
– How do you incorporate cycle time, productivity, cost control, and other efficiency and effectiveness factors into these VMware vSphere processes?
– Are assumptions made in VMware vSphere stated explicitly?
Oracle VM Server for SPARC Critical Criteria:
Adapt Oracle VM Server for SPARC tasks and figure out ways to motivate other Oracle VM Server for SPARC users.
Remote Desktop Services Critical Criteria:
Coach on Remote Desktop Services engagements and find the ideas you already have.
– Which statement is true about remote desktop services (rds)?
Red Hat Enterprise Linux Critical Criteria:
Check Red Hat Enterprise Linux engagements and learn.
– At what point will vulnerability assessments be performed once VMware vSphere is put into production (e.g., ongoing Risk Management after implementation)?
– How do we keep improving VMware vSphere?
Oracle VM Server for x86 Critical Criteria:
Recall Oracle VM Server for x86 outcomes and overcome Oracle VM Server for x86 skills and management ineffectiveness.
– Have you identified your VMware vSphere key performance indicators?
– How can skill-level changes improve VMware vSphere?
Application virtualization Critical Criteria:
Co-operate on Application virtualization planning and integrate design thinking in Application virtualization innovation.
– Which product provides an application virtualization solution?
VCloud Air Critical Criteria:
Grade VCloud Air quality and work towards be a leading VCloud Air expert.
VMware ESX Critical Criteria:
Design VMware ESX outcomes and separate what are the business goals VMware ESX is aiming to achieve.
– Does our organization need more VMware vSphere education?
– What are the business goals VMware vSphere is aiming to achieve?
This quick readiness checklist is a selected resource to help you move forward. Learn more about how to achieve comprehensive insights with the VMware vSphere Self Assessment:
Author: Gerard Blokdijk
CEO at The Art of Service | http://theartofservice.com
Gerard is the CEO at The Art of Service. He has been providing information technology insights, talks, tools and products to organizations in a wide range of industries for over 25 years. Gerard is a widely recognized and respected information expert. Gerard founded The Art of Service consulting business in 2000. Gerard has authored numerous published books to date.
To address the criteria in this checklist, these selected resources are provided for sources of further research and information:
VMware vSphere External links:
What is VMware vSphere? – Definition from WhatIs.com
Cloud computing External links:
REAN Cloud – Managed Services | Cloud Computing | …
Cloud Computing and Data Center Infrastructure as a Service
Microsoft Azure Cloud Computing Platform & Services
VMware Horizon View External links:
NYCHHC – VMware Horizon View
VMware Horizon View – Students
VMware Horizon View – Moraine Park Technical College
ICore Virtual Accounts External links:
ICore Virtual Accounts – WOW.com
ICore Virtual Accounts – Revolvy
https://www.revolvy.com/topic/ICore Virtual Accounts
iCore Virtual Accounts alternatives – similar apps
Virtual DOS machine External links:
Virtual DOS machine – Revolvy
https://www.revolvy.com/topic/Virtual DOS machine&item_type=topic
What is NT Virtual DOS Machine? Webopedia Definition
Adaptive Domain Environment for Operating Systems External links:
Adaptive Domain Environment for Operating Systems
Adaptive Domain Environment for Operating Systems
Adaptive Domain Environment for Operating Systems – …
VMware vSphere External links:
What is VMware vSphere? – Definition from WhatIs.com
Microsoft Virtual Server External links:
Download Microsoft Virtual Server 2005 R2 SP1 – …
Getting Started: Microsoft Virtual Server 2005
Download Microsoft Virtual Server 2005 R2 SP1 Update …
Virtual Iron External links:
[PDF]USING VIRTUAL IRON 4.5 WITH SAN STORAGE – Oracle
[PDF]Virtual Iron Network – University at Buffalo
Oracle and Virtual Iron
Red Hat Enterprise Virtualization External links:
Red Hat Enterprise Virtualization (Servers)
Virtual machine External links:
Virtual Machine Scale Sets | Microsoft Azure
Microsoft Virtual Machine Converter 3.0
VMware vCenter Converter: P2V Virtual Machine Converter
VMware Workstation External links:
VMware Workstation – Download
VMware Fusion External links:
VMware Fusion for Mac – Download
VMware Fusion – Official Site
Microsoft App-V External links:
Microsoft App-V – Virtual Applications | TechNet
VMware Player External links:
VMware Player – Download
SAP SE External links:
SAP-DE: SAP SE – Stock Quote and News – CNBC
SAP SE Training and Tutorials | Lynda.com
SAP SE: ETR:SAP quotes & news – Google Finance
Proprietary software External links:
Proprietary Software and the Institutional Researcher. – …
Proprietary Software Definition – LINFO
Proprietary Software for Free | USC Spatial Sciences Institute
Windows 7 External links:
Visual BCD Editor – graphical bcdedit for Windows 7-10
How to easily Factory Reset a Windows 7 PC – YouTube
Go back to Windows 7 or Windows 8.1 – support.microsoft.com
Desktop virtualization External links:
Application and Desktop Virtualization – Citrix
MED-V – Microsoft Desktop Virtualization | TechNet
VMware Server External links:
VMware Server – Download
Dedicated VMware Server Hosting – Cybercon Data Center
VMware Server Virtualization | Managed vSphere | Rackspace
Linux namespaces External links:
HOWTO use Linux namespaces with ns-3 – Nsnam
Kernel-based Virtual Machine External links:
Kernel-Based Virtual Machine – go4hosting.in
Software license External links:
Microsoft Software License Terms
QuickBooks Terms of Service & Software License …
Hardware virtualization External links:
[Update] Bypass The Hardware Virtualization Requirement …
Open vSwitch External links:
An Introduction to Open vSwitch – Simon Horman – YouTube
Introduction to Open vSwitch (OVS) – YouTube
Symantec Workspace Virtualization External links:
Symantec Workspace Virtualization, Streaming End Of …
VMware ESXi External links:
VMware ESXi, Workstation and Fusion SVGA Device Out …
VMware ESXi polling issue |THWACK
SAP HANA External links:
sap hana jobs | Dice.com
SAP HANA Blog
Windows Server 2008 R2 External links:
Windows Server 2008 R2 is a serveroperating system produced by Microsoft. It was released to manufacturing (RTM) on July 22, 2009 and launched on October 22, 2009. According to the Windows Server Team blog, the retail availability was September 14, 2009.
Windows Server 2008 R2 | Products | Avnet Microsoft …
Software release life cycle External links:
Skill Pages – Software release life cycle | Dice.com
7011FI-1.xRelease.pdf | Software Release Life Cycle | Bit
Virtual Machine Manager External links:
Virtual Machine Manager Download
Virtual Machine Manager Documentation | Microsoft Docs
Virtual Machine Manager – technet.microsoft.com
Cooperative Linux External links:
[PDF]Condor and Cooperative Linux – Innovative
Distributed Overlay Virtual Ethernet External links:
Distributed Overlay Virtual Ethernet – WOW.com
Ulteo Open Virtual Desktop External links:
Ulteo Open Virtual Desktop
Ulteo Open Virtual Desktop
VirtZine #20 – “Ulteo Open Virtual Desktop Demo” – YouTube
Software developer External links:
Software Developer Salary – PayScale
[PDF]Job Description for Software Developer. Title: …
Title Software Developer Jobs, Employment | Indeed.com
Network virtualization External links:
Hyper-V Network Virtualization Overview
Oracle VM Server for SPARC External links:
[PDF]Oracle VM Server for SPARC Installation and
Oracle VM Server for SPARC 3.3 Documentation Library
[PDF]Oracle VM Server for SPARC
Remote Desktop Services External links:
A Remote Desktop Services session stops responding …
You cannot reestablish a Remote Desktop Services …
Smart Card and Remote Desktop Services – technet.microsoft.com
Red Hat Enterprise Linux External links:
Red Hat Enterprise Linux – Official Site
Red Hat Enterprise Linux WFONE Port 8080 Test Page
Red Hat solutions – Red Hat Enterprise Linux | Microsoft Azure
Oracle VM Server for x86 External links:
[PDF]Oracle VM Server for x86 Virtualization and …
[PDF]Oracle VM Server for X86 Virtualization and …
Application virtualization External links:
Application Virtualization Engineer – SCCM Architects
VCloud Air External links:
VMware vCloud Air 5-minute Elevator Pitch with Q&A – YouTube
vCloud Air Use Cases | vCloud Air by VMware
vCloud Air powered by OVH
VMware ESX External links:
[PDF]How to Secure VMware ESX
Vmware Esx Administration Guide – thejean.store