What is involved in Business rules
Find out what the related areas are that Business rules connects with, associates with, correlates with or affects, and which require thought, deliberation, analysis, review and discussion. This unique checklist stands out in a sense that it is not per-se designed to give answers, but to engage the reader and lay out a Business rules thinking-frame.
How far is your company on its Business rules engine journey?
Take this short survey to gauge your organization’s progress toward Business rules engine leadership. Learn your strongest and weakest areas, and what you can do now to create a strategy that delivers results.
To address the criteria in this checklist for your organization, extensive selected resources are provided for sources of further research and information.
Start the Checklist
Below you will find a quick checklist designed to help you think about which Business rules related domains to cover and 106 essential critical questions to check off in that domain.
The following domains are covered:
Business rules, Business rule, Business, Business Process Modeling Notation, Business analysis, Business analyst, Business logic, Business process, Business rule management system, Business rule mining, Business rules approach, Conceptual schema, Decision Model and Notation, Drools, Ephemeral, Glossary, Knowledge, Semantics of Business Vocabulary and Business Rules, Z notation:
Business rules Critical Criteria:
Reason over Business rules goals and attract Business rules skills.
– Do we aggressively reward and promote the people who have the biggest impact on creating excellent Business rules services/products?
– To what extent does management recognize Business rules as a tool to increase the results?
– Who are the people involved in developing and implementing Business rules?
Business rule Critical Criteria:
Administer Business rule quality and explore and align the progress in Business rule.
– If enterprise data were always kept fully normalized and updated for business rule changes, would any system re-writes or replacement purchases be necessary?
– Who will provide the final approval of Business rules deliverables?
– Do we all define Business rules in the same way?
– How to deal with Business rules Changes?
Business Critical Criteria:
Depict Business engagements and don’t overlook the obvious.
– Does the software allow users to bring in data from outside the company on-the-flylike demographics and market research to augment corporate data?
– Do the response plans address damage assessment, site restoration, payroll, Human Resources, information technology, and administrative support?
– As we develop increasing numbers of predictive models, then we have to figure out how do you pick the targets, how do you optimize the models?
– How could FCC rules be changed to make it easier for small businesses to participate in the Internet of Things?
– Which OpenSource ETL tool is easier to use more agile Pentaho Kettle Jitterbit Talend Clover Jasper Rhino?
– How is critical business information classified (e.g., citizen, education, criminal, driver)?
– Why does animosity endure between IT and business when it comes to business intelligence?
– Are both the organizations willing to keep attention focused on the joint customer?
– Is business intelligence set to play a key role in the future of human resources?
– How will businesses be impacted by a disaster (e.g., earthquake, tsunami, flood)?
– What are the top trends in the business intelligence space?
– No single business unit responsible for enterprise data?
– Are there sufficient operational points of interaction?
– Do we offer a good introduction to data warehouse?
– Make or buy BI Business Intelligence?
– What is your annual maintenance?
– What business challenges did you face?
– IT or Business – Who is right?
Business Process Modeling Notation Critical Criteria:
Investigate Business Process Modeling Notation management and gather practices for scaling Business Process Modeling Notation.
– What are our best practices for minimizing Business rules project risk, while demonstrating incremental value and quick wins throughout the Business rules project lifecycle?
– Are there any easy-to-implement alternatives to Business rules? Sometimes other solutions are available that do not require the cost implications of a full-blown project?
– Does our organization need more Business rules education?
Business analysis Critical Criteria:
Win new insights about Business analysis outcomes and triple focus on important concepts of Business analysis relationship management.
– How do senior leaders actions reflect a commitment to the organizations Business rules values?
– What happens to the function of the business analysis in user story development?
– What is the purpose of Business rules in relation to the mission?
– How can skill-level changes improve Business rules?
Business analyst Critical Criteria:
Map Business analyst strategies and develop and take control of the Business analyst initiative.
– What are typical responsibilities of someone in the role of Business Analyst?
– What is the difference between a Business Architect and a Business Analyst?
– What are the record-keeping requirements of Business rules activities?
– Can Management personnel recognize the monetary benefit of Business rules?
– Do business analysts know the cost of feature addition or modification?
– How is the value delivered by Business rules being measured?
Business logic Critical Criteria:
Reorganize Business logic strategies and plan concise Business logic education.
– Is there any existing Business rules governance structure?
Business process Critical Criteria:
Give examples of Business process outcomes and question.
– Do we identify maximum allowable downtime for critical business functions, acceptable levels of data loss and backlogged transactions, RTOs, RPOs, recovery of the critical path (i.e., business processes or systems that should receive the highest priority), and the costs associated with downtime? Are the approved thresholds appropriate?
– Have the segments, goals and performance objectives been translated into an actionable and realistic target business and information architecture expressed within business functions, business processes, and information requirements?
– To what extent will this product open up for subsequent add-on products, e.g. business process outsourcing services built on top of a program-as-a-service offering?
– What is the importance of knowing the key performance indicators KPIs for a business process when trying to implement a business intelligence system?
– Has business process Cybersecurity has been included in continuity of operations plans for areas such as customer data, billing, etc.?
– Do you design data protection and privacy requirements into the development of your business processes and new systems?
– If we process purchase orders; what is the desired business process around supporting purchase orders?
– Does Business rules systematically track and analyze outcomes for accountability and quality improvement?
– To satisfy customers and stakeholders, which internal business process must we excel in?
– How do clients contact client services with any questions about business processes?
– What would Eligible entity be asked to do to facilitate your normal business process?
– Do changes in business processes fall under the scope of change management?
– What business process supports the entry and validation of the data?
– How do we improve business processes and how do we deliver on that?
– What core business processes drive our industry and channel today?
– On what basis would you decide to redesign a business process?
– How will business process and behavioral change be managed?
– What/how are business processes defined?
– What are specific Business rules Rules to follow?
Business rule management system Critical Criteria:
Read up on Business rule management system engagements and sort Business rule management system activities.
– What are the top 3 things at the forefront of our Business rules agendas for the next 3 years?
– How will we insure seamless interoperability of Business rules moving forward?
– How will you know that the Business rules project has been successful?
Business rule mining Critical Criteria:
Pay attention to Business rule mining leadership and sort Business rule mining activities.
– How do we make it meaningful in connecting Business rules with what users do day-to-day?
– How do we Identify specific Business rules investment and emerging trends?
– Are accountability and ownership for Business rules clearly defined?
Business rules approach Critical Criteria:
Paraphrase Business rules approach planning and oversee implementation of Business rules approach.
– What potential environmental factors impact the Business rules effort?
Conceptual schema Critical Criteria:
Accumulate Conceptual schema governance and frame using storytelling to create more compelling Conceptual schema projects.
– Does Business rules include applications and information with regulatory compliance significance (or other contractual conditions that must be formally complied with) in a new or unique manner for which no approved security requirements, templates or design models exist?
– What role does communication play in the success or failure of a Business rules project?
– Who is the main stakeholder, with ultimate responsibility for driving Business rules forward?
Decision Model and Notation Critical Criteria:
Consider Decision Model and Notation results and adjust implementation of Decision Model and Notation.
– Think about the people you identified for your Business rules project and the project responsibilities you would assign to them. what kind of training do you think they would need to perform these responsibilities effectively?
– Which customers cant participate in our Business rules domain because they lack skills, wealth, or convenient access to existing solutions?
– What will drive Business rules change?
Drools Critical Criteria:
Analyze Drools tactics and devise Drools key steps.
– What are the key elements of your Business rules performance improvement system, including your evaluation, organizational learning, and innovation processes?
– What are the short and long-term Business rules goals?
– Why should we adopt a Business rules framework?
Ephemeral Critical Criteria:
See the value of Ephemeral goals and use obstacles to break out of ruts.
– Can we add value to the current Business rules decision-making process (largely qualitative) by incorporating uncertainty modeling (more quantitative)?
– Which Business rules goals are the most important?
Glossary Critical Criteria:
Have a round table over Glossary results and suggest using storytelling to create more compelling Glossary projects.
– Does Business rules create potential expectations in other areas that need to be recognized and considered?
Knowledge Critical Criteria:
Systematize Knowledge tactics and suggest using storytelling to create more compelling Knowledge projects.
– Learning Systems Analysis: once one has a good grasp of the current state of the organization, there is still an important question that needs to be asked: what is the organizations potential for developing and changing – in the near future and in the longer term?
– Do we support the certified Cybersecurity professional and cyber-informed operations and engineering professionals with advanced problem-solving tools, communities of practice, canonical knowledge bases, and other performance support tools?
– What domains of knowledge and types of Cybersecurity-associated skills and abilities are necessary for engineers involved in operating industrial processes to achieve safe and reliable operating goals?
– Has implementation of the program strengthened skills and knowledge of the target group and other stakeholders?
– What is the organizations most effective method of training for information governance knowledge and skills?
– What are the best practices in knowledge management for IT Service management ITSM?
– What specialized bi knowledge does your business have that can be leveraged?
– Are users knowledgeable about PKI, and how much training will they undergo?
– What are some common criticisms of Sharepoint as a knowledge sharing tool?
– Does Customer Knowledge Affect How Loyalty Is Formed?
– When is Knowledge Management Measured?
Semantics of Business Vocabulary and Business Rules Critical Criteria:
Pilot Semantics of Business Vocabulary and Business Rules visions and point out improvements in Semantics of Business Vocabulary and Business Rules.
– What are your current levels and trends in key measures or indicators of Business rules product and process performance that are important to and directly serve your customers? how do these results compare with the performance of your competitors and other organizations with similar offerings?
– Will new equipment/products be required to facilitate Business rules delivery for example is new software needed?
– Are we making progress? and are we making progress as Business rules leaders?
Z notation Critical Criteria:
Grade Z notation goals and catalog what business benefits will Z notation goals deliver if achieved.
– What other jobs or tasks affect the performance of the steps in the Business rules process?
This quick readiness checklist is a selected resource to help you move forward. Learn more about how to achieve comprehensive insights with the Business rules engine Self Assessment:
Author: Gerard Blokdijk
CEO at The Art of Service | http://theartofservice.com
Gerard is the CEO at The Art of Service. He has been providing information technology insights, talks, tools and products to organizations in a wide range of industries for over 25 years. Gerard is a widely recognized and respected information expert. Gerard founded The Art of Service consulting business in 2000. Gerard has authored numerous published books to date.
To address the criteria in this checklist, these selected resources are provided for sources of further research and information:
Business rules External links:
Business Rules Engine – BizTalk Server | Microsoft Docs
Applying Business Rules in Master Data Services | CSG Pro
Business rule External links:
[PDF]Business Rule Number – Internal Revenue Service
Business Rules vs. Business Requirements …
Business External links:
Business Title Hierarchy – hierarchy structure
Kartra | All In One Business Platform
Business Process Modeling Notation External links:
OMG Business Process Modeling Notation – va.gov
About the Business Process Modeling Notation …
Business analysis External links:
International Institute of Business Analysis – Official Site
Business analyst External links:
Here are 13 Jobs that Can Lead to a Business Analyst Job
Business Analyst Training – Business Analyst Training
Title Business Analyst Jobs, Employment | Indeed.com
Business logic External links:
SQL and Business Logic – Dimitri Fontaine, PostgreSQL …
[PDF]business logic model – PerformanceXpress
Business process External links:
SYKES – International Business Process Outsourcing …
[PDF]Business Process Guide Position Management : …
What is business process? – Definition from WhatIs.com
Business rule management system External links:
The Anatomy of a Business Rule Management System
Business Rule Management System Videos | InRule
Business rule mining External links:
Business rule mining – Revolvy
https://broom02.revolvy.com/topic/Business rule mining&item_type=topic
Business Rule Mining from Spreadsheets – …
Business rules approach External links:
The Business Rules Approach and Its Effect on Software …
Conceptual schema External links:
[MC-CSDL]: Conceptual Schema Definition File Format
Evaluating Social Interventions: A Conceptual Schema – …
Decision Model and Notation External links:
What is Decision Model and Notation – DMN?
Drools External links:
Drools – Documentation
Ephemeral External links:
Ephemeral | Definition of Ephemeral by Merriam-Webster
EPHEMERAL – Tumblr
Ephemeral Rift – YouTube
Glossary External links:
Glossary | HealthCare.gov
Glossary – NOAA’s National Weather Service
Glossary | Math Goodies
Knowledge External links:
Knowledge Exchange Disclaimer
Home – WGU Knowledge Center
Army Knowledge Online
Semantics of Business Vocabulary and Business Rules External links:
Semantics of Business Vocabulary and Business Rules …
Semantics of Business Vocabulary and Business Rules
Z notation External links:
E-Z NOTATION FOR GEOMETRIC ISOMERISM – chemguide
http://The Z notation/ˈzɛd/ is a formalspecification language used for describing and modelling computing systems. It is targeted at the clear specification of computer programs and computer-based systems in general.